(and a few things I’m looking for)
I’ve admitted before that I’m totally a creature of habit. Recently, my closet has dwindled down to just a few categories: dresses that look like they belong in Palm Springs, neutral bottoms, white blouses, flats, a specific set of heels, and blouses that are just a touch wild but still office appropriate. I’ve found that I’m so comfortable in certain items that I end up buying them in multiples and/or wearing them almost every day.
It’s these that I want to share with you. Those items that I just love so much I barely take them off. They move with me through a relatively active career and day to day, and still look appropriate on the weekends. Here we go!
- ** David Yurman Starburst earrings. I’m a girl with a 4th of July Birthday, so anything that resembles a firework is right up my alley. I bought these for myself for my 30th birthday and have worn them almost every day since. Like…. 90% of days, it’s these. Admittedly, I have the silver version (which they no longer make in this size), so I paid quite a bit less, but there are some advantages to the white gold- they don’t tarnish like the silver, and they’re easier to clean since they’re less pillowy than the old version, but I wouldn’t trade for the world.
- ** Cole Haan Piper Mule in Leopard. I kid you not when I say I’m in love with these shoes. I bought my first pair several years ago, fell in love, then bought 2 more pairs. I just put on the last set, and have ordered as many more in my size as Nordstrom Rack has to offer. Cole Haan teamed with Nike a decade or so ago to make their dress shoes feel like tennies, and while that contract ended, they kept hold of the technology that makes these feel incredible. I also ordered the black leather pair as well. I love my Gucci Pricetowns, but nothing beats the comfort of these.
- ** The Reset Funnel Neck Sweater. You heard all about this a couple of weeks ago. I’ve bought three colors, and have just reordered the black. So cozy, so warm, and looks fantastic tucked into a pencil skirt for the office.
- ** Manolo Blahnik BB Pumps. They’re expensive, yes, but these are hands down the most comfortable pair of heels I own. A pointed toe and a pretty streamlined look make these an incredibly classic shoe. The 70mm height is a happy medium height heel for me, and the suede color Nude is a pinkish beige that seems to go with almost everything in my closet. I’ve had the heel caps replaced once, and have them cleaned pretty regularly. The black suede is next on my list.
- ** Soft Sculpt Jeans from Banana Republic. I’m a high-waisted pants kind of girl, but this color of a wash is just freaking perfect. They have a charcoal-ish look to them, which makes them easy to couple with a blouse or a blazer for the office, and the touch of stretch means that they’re comfortable throughout the day. The fabric is light, and softer than the usual denim out there.
- ** Lululemon Align Crops with Pockets. I have never- and I mean never- loved a pair of gym leggings so much. I lose my mind when I wear a pair of leggings that are stiff, heavy, too tight, or too thick, and these aren’t any of those things. Crazy lightweight (but not see-through) material, coupled with the outer thigh pockets make these a go-to from gym to hiking through Chicago and the Taquitz Canyon.
- ** True and Co. Thong. The only underwear I have. It’s seamless, super lightweight, isn’t remotely visible under clothing. The variety of shades isn’t 100% all inclusive, but it’s close.
- ** Warby Parker Ada frames. These are supposed to be sunglasses, but I had clear lenses put in so that I could wear them as my daily glasses. The tortoiseshell goes with everything, and they’re obnoxiously big in the best way!
Obviously, everything I wear on a daily basis isn’t listed here- there are shirts I wear way too often, trousers I wish I could find a replacement for, which leads me to this: There’s a few things I’ve just been looking for forever and can’t find. Where in the world can I find lightweight, high-waisted, pocketless, cropped trousers with a little stretch and belt loops? Who makes a great wool blazer that happily fits a woman with curves and doesn’t make me look 3 sizes bigger than I am? Where is there a non-padded, non-wired, skin tone bra that pulls over and has separate cups?
Our wardrobe personalities are such a funny thing. I have girlfriends (and guy friends!) that want to mix things up every day, and it seems like that’s the way we’ve been pushed; think of Carrie Bradshaw, or the scandal that happens when Kate Middleton re-wears an overcoat. For me, though, I love the stability of knowing how a pant is going to fit, or what a sweater is going to feel like. It’s that feeling of comfort that makes getting dressed each day a pleasure.
** this post is not sponsored in any way. all thoughts and opinions are my own **
** photo by Lana Carroll **